Play1Way Sports Baseball Tournament Rules and Guidelines
Contact Information: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tournament Director: Jeff Hensor Phone: 814-386-3564
Age Cut-off: Age on April 30, 2021 is your tournament age UNLESS THE TOURNAMENT SPECIFICALLY STATES DIFFERENT AGE CUTOFFS. This will apply to all tournaments from 9/1/2020 through 9/1/2021
Grad Year Can Also Apply for 13 and up only:
• 13u Age Division = 2026 Grad Year
• 14u Age Division = 2025 Grad Year
• 15u Age Division = 2024 Grad Year
• 16u Age Division = 2023 Grad Year
• 17u Age Division = 2022 Grad Year
• 18u Age Division = 2021 Grad Year
A player must meet either the age or graduation year eligibility criteria – they do NOT need to meet both. A player is permitted to play “up” in age. Each tournament is clear concerning age eligibility. Team manger must have copy of players birth certificate available upon request. There will be a $100 fee to challenge an age, due at the time of challenge. If you win the challenge you will get the $100 challenge fee back.
• 12u and younger - 6 innings, no new inning after 1:30
• 13u and older – 7 innings, no new inning after 1:50
***For Team Showcase events for which there is no playoff - no game shall exceed 2 hours and all games will be treated as pool play games and can end in a tie
Tie-Breaker: Pool play can end in a tie. In bracket play, if a game is tied at the end of regulation innings or the time limit has expired, the following tie-breaker rules will be used: The visiting team will load the bases and start the inning with 1 out. Runners will be placed in the following order:
• The last batter of the previous inning will go to 1st
• The second to last batter of the previous inning will go to 2nd
• The third to last batter of the previous inning will go to 3rd
Play will continue this way until 1 team leads the other after a complete inning The championship game will play with regular extra innings (NO TIE BREAKER) and no time limit. Mercy rule will be in effect.
Pre-Game: Teams must be ready to play 20 minutes prior to their start time. No infield use (batting or infield/outfield) between games. Players may warm-up in the outfield. While not guaranteed, most fields have a batting cage for use.
Home team during pool play is determined by a coin flip. In bracket play home team will be the highest seeded team.
• There are no pitching rules. Use your best judgement. Play1Way Sports recommends MLB PitchSmart Guidelines
• 8u Division will use a pitching machine set at 46' and 45 mph (see seperate document for 8u tournament rules)
"Slash" Play is illegal in Play1Way Sports Tournaments. A "Slash" play is when a batter initiates a bunting action in an attempt to get defensive fielders moving and charging the bunt, the hitter then pulls their bat back and takes a full swing. If a hitter initiates a bunting action in the umpires opinion, their only option is to attempt to bunt the ball or pull back - THEY CANNOT TAKE A SWING. An offending batter will immediately be declared out, disqualified from the game and ball will be dead.
• 8u Division: No bat restrictions.
• 9-12u Division and younger: No bat restrictions in regards to length/weight ratio but all bats must be stamped USA Bats or wood.
• 13u Division: Bats must be stamped USA Bats, USSSA, or BBCOR. No length/wt drop restriction.
• 14u Division and older: – 3 BBCOR or Wood
• 10 and younger: 46' mound, 60' bases. No leads, no dropped 3rd strike
• 11 and 12: Tournaments will vary. Some will follow 10 and younger field size and rules, others will be 50' mound 70' bases and follow 13 and older rules. Check your tournament listing.
• 13 and older: 60'6" mound, 90' bases.
Line-up/Continuous Batting Order/Substitution Rule:
Offensive - Team may bat 9 players, the entire lineup, or in-between. Once the number of batters is determined, it must remain for the entire game. One player cannot occupy more than one position in the batting order. A substitute is anyone not placed in the batting order. Once a substitution bats or runs for a player, the sub and the original starter are locked into that batting position and either one may bat or run in that position ONLY. Player Injury is not considered an out. If a second player is removed from the game due to an injury, when their position in the batting order is up, this will be considered an out if no sub is available. All ejected players will be considered an out if there are no subs available **see Zero-Tolerance Policy for ejected players/coaches.
Defensive -Any player on the roster may play in any defensive position at any time, regardless of being in the batting order. For example - A team may have 18 players: Bat 9 of them and play the other 9 in the field. No one player in a game can assume more than one offensive position.
Courtesy Runner: • A courtesy runner is allowed for the catcher or pitcher at any time.
• Runner must be the player who recorded the last out (regardless of inning) when entire roster is in the batting order. If there are substitutes (someone who has NOT been in the batting order) available to courtesy run they must be used first.
Seeding: • For playoff events, pool play record will determine seeding for single elimination bracket play. Bracket seeding will be determined as follows:
• Pool Play Events: 1) Pool Place, 2) Record, 3) Head to Head, 3) Total runs allowed, 4) Total runs scored, 5) Run differential (max run differential = 5 per game)
• Random Draw Events: 1) Record, 2) Head to Head, 3) Total runs allowed, 4) Total runs scored, 5) Run differential (max run differential = 5 per game) In all events if a tie still remains after the run differential is applied, higher seed will be determined by a coin flip. The coin flip will be performed by a Play1Way Sports representative and game official.
Zero-Tolerance Policy: Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated. Profanity or misconduct by a player, coach/manager, or fan will not be tolerated and may result in his/her ejection from the game and dismissal from the tournament. Any player, coach, or fan ejected from the game will NOT be permitted at the team’s next game. This is non-negotiable. If a player, coach, or fan is found on premise after being ejected, that team will be forced to forfeit that game.
Mercy Rule: The Mercy Rule will be enforced as follows:
• 6 innings scheduled: 10 runs after 3 innings, 8 runs after 4 innings
• 7 innings scheduled: 12 runs after 3 innings, 10 runs after 4 innings, 8 runs after 5 innings
**Team showcase events can adjust this game to game and coach to coach as agreed upon by coaches... no game shall go beyond the 7 inning regulation or a 2 hours drop dead time limit
Tournament Cancellation Policy (For reason outside the control of Play1Way Sports – rain/government restrictions/etc):
• 0 Games played: Full refund (less $50 administration fee)
• 1 Game played: Refund 50%
• 2+ Games Played: No Refund
If Play1Way Sports has to cancel a tournament due to lack of teams or field availability - All teams will recieve a 100% refund or credit to a future tournament.
Team Cancellation Policy: If a team withdrawals entry from an event:
• Criteria 1: 30 days or more prior to event = 100% refund (less a $50 administration fee)
• Criteria 2: 29-14 days prior to event – if replacement team can be found see Criteria 1. If replacement team cannot be found = 75% refund.
• Criteria 3: 13 days prior to event - schedule release (typically the Monday prior to the event) = 50% refund. If a replacement team is found, a 75% refund will be issued.
• Criteria 4: After schedule is released = No refund. Note: For refund purposes only, 1 complete inning will constitute a game.
Play1Way Sports has up to 30 days from completion of the tournament to issue refunds.
Shortened Games: • Games shortened due to weather (100% the umpire’s decision) are deemed official after 2.5 innings of play if home team is winning. 3 innings if the home team is losing. A tie is an option after a game becomes official during pool play.
Tournament Format/Bracket Play Play1Way Sports reserves the right to alter the original tournament format/bracket play. It is our priority to provide the best event experience and highest level of competition possible and will do everything that is reasonably in our power to maintain the advertised format.
Home team is the official scorekeeper of the game. Team scorekeepers should match scores after each inning.
Liability Coverage: All teams are responsible for their own liability coverage. The tournament, it’s directors, landowners, hosts, etc., are not responsible for financial coverage of any injured player.
Protest. Any team is allowed to protest. Fee for protest is $100. If you win the protest the $100 will be returned to the protesting team. A team cannot protest a judgement call. Only application of rules can be protested. A protest MUST occur at the time of the situation in question. The fee will be given to a Play1Way Sports game manager. Final decision will be made by the Head Umpire for the tournament.
***Any playing rules not covered under the above tournament rules will default to National Federation of High Schools Regulations and Playing Rules for 13u and older (and 12u playing 50/70) and to Little League International rules for tournament play for all 46/60 12u events). Anything not covered by written rule, as it pertains to specifics outlined in these tournament rules, a decision will be rendered by 1) a Play1Way Sports representative 2) when one is not available in a timely manner, the home plate umpire will make the decision. All decisions are final.
*** Playing under Covid-19 Restrictions. Teams will NOT shake hands. Instead, teams will line up on their respective baselines and tip hats. Understand that Play1Way Sports is required to uphold rules of the community.
***Infectious Disease/Liability Waiver and Roster must be signed by each player prior to first game (provided electronically)